Stuffed crust pizza is a great idea. Anytime I can put more cheese on a pizza I am happy. I have to credit Pizza Hut for popularizing the idea and still remember their television commercial depicting people eating their pizza slices backwards. Here is a quick and easy way you can make stuffed crust pizza at home.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees
2. Roll your dough so that it expands past the edges of your pan
3. Place your dough on a pan to help it hold form
4. Separate about 6 mozzarella cheese sticks in half length wise (I used Organic Valley cheese sticks)
5. Roll the dough over then under the cheese to seal the cheese in the crust
6. Pre-bake the crust for 6 minutes
7. Spread on pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese
8. Bake for 8 more minutes
Stuffed crust pizza is another fun pizza to make if you have kids in the house. Making stuffed crust pizza is different from my traditional homemade pizza because I used a pan and did not use my pizza stone. These two variables along with wanting to make sure the cheese inside the dough melted lead me to lower the baking temperature and increase the pre-baking time. In the end, the stuffed cheese melted nicely and the crust had just the right level of crispiness.